Our classic folding knife is a design icon. Simple and beautiful, sharp and durable, the No. 8 is an international bestseller. Tuck it into your pocket for a picnic. Keep it in your desk for workday lunches. Carve into charcuterie, cheese, or a crisp apple, or whittle a stick for campfire s’mores. With an easy-to-maintain stainless steel blade, this knife is ready for wherever your adventures might take you. Opinel knives are designed to stand the test of time; some carry Opinel knives handed down from parents and grandparents. Follow a few simple instructions to ensure your knife lasts for years to come.
- Hand-wash after each use
- Wipe the blade dry
- Store in a dry place and keep out of damp conditions
- Expect the wooden handle to swell or contract slightly with use; wood is a living material that can be affected by humidity and atmospheric conditions. If your blade feels stuck, use the “Opinel knock” — rapping the end of the knife on a hard surface — to loosen the blade slightly
- Grease the metal parts, including the Virobloc locking mechanism, on a regular basis
- Use a whetstone or other fine-grain natural stone to sharpen your blade. Make sure the blade is dry and clean, and hold the sharpening stone at an approximately 20-degree angle from the blade while sharpening
You should NOT...
- Put your knife in the dishwasher
- Use bleach or chlorine to clean your knife
- Leave your knife in wet or damp conditions for extended periods of time
- Blade length: Size varies (select size above)
- Materials: Stainless steel blade, handle materials varies (select color above)
Versatile in its use, classic in its design and construction, the Opinel have been carried — and appreciated — by generations. A classic pocket knife designed to stand the test of time.